If you are an anime lover, I’m sure you are familiar with the dere types. The famous ones include- Tsundere, Yandere, and Dandere. However, many dere types are rare and are not as popular as the others. Darudere and shundere might be examples of such types. Today, we will be looking into one such rare kind of dere character archetype – “Sadodere.” I have also prepared a list of all the famous characters who belong in this category. You might even find some of your favorites on the list! Without any further delay, let us get into the details of the archetype.
Meaning Of Sadodere
The word Sadodere is a combination of Sado, which is taken from sadomasochistic, and deredere, which means lovey-dovey.
The personality of sadodere characters can be considered highly problematic. They like to manipulate and torture people and their loved ones. Moreover, they derive pleasure from it and are sadistic. They hurt people physically and mentally while showing a lack of empathy. These characters tend to be cruel and violent, even to their love interests.
Many fans confuse sadodere characters with yandere. Yandere characters are very different than sadodere characters. They don’t derive pleasure from hurting their loved ones. Usually, they harm others close to their crush due to an extreme sense of insecurity. They will never trouble their loved ones unless they believe it is necessary for them. However, it’s a different scenario if a person is both yandere and sadodere.
Hiyakasudere characters are in a way similar to Sadodere. However, they only want attention from them and tend to seduce their love interests to do so.
Famous Yadodere Characters
- Dont toy with me, Miss Nagatoro – Nagatoro
- Blood+ – Diva
- Kanojo, Okarishimasu – Mami Nanami
- Boku no Hero Academia – Himiko Toga
- Kill la Kill – Nui Harime
- Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan – Dokuro Mitsukai
- Kiznaiver – Yoshiharu Hisomu
- Btooom! – Kosuke Kira
- Bungou Stray Dogs – Akiko Yosano
- Mayo Chiki! – Kanade Suzutsuki
- Mitsudomoe! – Mitsuba Marui
- Canaan – Yunyun
- Dakara Boku wa, Ecchi ga Dekinai? – Quelle Sellier
- Owari no Seraph – Kruel Tepes
- Princess Tutu – The Raven
- Danganronpa – Junko Enoshima
- Queen’s Blade – Melona
- Ranma 1/2 – Kodachi Kuno
- Date A Live – Kurumi Tokisaki
- Smile Precure! – Joker
- Sora no Otoshimono – Minos
- Deadman Wonderland – Minatsuki Takami
- Tokyo Ghoul – Eto Yoshimura
- Diabolik Lovers – Ayato Sakamaki
- Tokyo Mew Mew – Quiche
- To LOVE-Ru – Nemesis
- Satsuriku No Tenshi – Catherine Ward
- Senyū – Ross
- Shakugan no Shana – Margery Daw
- Shuffle! – Kaede Fuyou
- Tomie – Tomie
- Yancha Gal no Anjou-san – Anjou
- Yu-Gi-Oh! – Yami Marik
- Yu Yu Hakusho – Elder Toguro
Sadodere characters are very problematic, and people dislike most of them due to their sadistic behavior. Unlike Yandere characters who act sweet and innocent, sadodere are not pretentious and show their wild side from the beginning.