You have probably heard of Dere types in anime and manga. It is a way of classifying different anime characters into specific categories. That makes it easier for us to understand and enjoy the characters. Moreover, waifus and husbandos are based on these archetypes. There are many dere types. Some are famous like Tsundere, Deredere, Yandere, Dandere, and Kuudere. However, some are a bit less famous, like Shundere, Mayadere, Ouijidere, and Hinedere. Today we will be looking into the Deredere archetype. Let us get into the details and meaning of the type. I have also prepared a list of the most famous Deredere characters.
Meaning Of The Term
Deredere means lovey-dovey. It is the only dere type that has no abbreviation or other counterpart combined with the base word.
Deredere characters are probably the sweetest dere archetype. They are always cheerful, and being around them will make you happy even when you are sad! They are almost always in a happy mood. Even when something upsetting happens to them, they are quick to recover and become joyful again. A few characters may show features or emotions that are a bit different from the exact meaning of the archetype. However, their personality is somewhat the same. That is joyful, ofcourse!
Deredere characters are incredibly kind, forgiving, and caring. You might find it strange, but they do not have a problem with their love interest getting close to someone else or even if they start to date someone else. Moreover, they appear to be genuinely happy for them. This fact is probably the main difference between deredere and the other archetypes. They are nice to everyone, even to their rivals/ enemies, and tend to have an admirable relationship with everyone they come across.
The best characteristic of deredere characters is that they are very open and expressive about their feelings. They might be shy but will not hesitate to articulate how they feel about their love interest. They might even cuddle or flirt with them, frankly.
Famous Deredere Characters
- A3! Act Addict Actors – Sakuya Sakuma
- Bakemonogatari – Tsubasa Hanekawa
- Aa! Megami-sama! – Belldandy
- Baccano – Issac Dian and Miria Harvent
- Abciee Shuugyou Nikki – Abciee
- Acchi Kocchi – Kana Miyama
- Cute High Earth Defense Club – Yumoto Hakone
- Aggressive Retsuko – Hippatrica
- Doraemon – Shizuka Minamoto
- Aho Girl – Sayaka Sumino
- Diabolik Lovers – Ayato Sakamaki
- Aikatsu! – Aoi Kiriya
- Go! Princess Precure – Haruka Haruno
- Gotoubun no Hanayome – Yotsuba Nakano
- Heartcatch Precure! – Erika Kurumi
- Naruto Shippuden – Naruto Uzumaki
- Gun Sword – Joshua Lundgren
- One Piece – Shirahoshi
- Cowboy Bebop – Ed Wong
- Ore Monogatari – Rinko Yamato
- Shiroi Suna no Aquatope – Kukuru Misakino
- Orenchi no Furo Jijou – Wakasa
- Shokugeki no Soma – Sōma Yukihira
- Ouran Koukou Host Club – Mitsukuni Haninozuka (Honey)
- Queen’s Blade – Leina Vance
- Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai – Tomoe Koga
- Tsurezure Children – Shinichi Katori
- Urusei Yatsura – Lum
- Uta no Prince-sama – Otoya Ittoki
- Valkyrie Drive: Mermaid – Mamori Tokonome
- Vlad Love – Mai Vlad Transylvania
- Yakusoku no Neverland – Emma
- Angel Beats – Yui
- Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! – Rikka Takanashi
- Bungou Stray Dogs – Kenji Miyazawa
- Aoi Hana – Akira Okudaira
Deredere characters are almost loved by all due to their kind and caring behavior. However, some fans consider them annoying due to their overly bright demeanor. Unlike Tsundere characters, they are expressive about their feelings, making it easier for their love interest to understand them. Personally, I love this dere type.