If you are an anime fan, I’m pretty sure that you have heard of the term “Dere Types.” Like many other terms that have become somewhat famous due to social media, dere types are no different. Multiple types of dere types exist. The famous ones include- Tsundere, Yandere, and Dandere. However, some character archetypes are less prominent than others. Darudere and shundere might be examples of such types. Today we will look into the meaning of the Dandere type. I have also prepared a list of all the famous characters who belong in this category. You might even find some of your favorites on the list! Without any further delay, let us get into the details of the archetype.
Meaning Of Dandere
The term is a combination of two other words. ‘Dan’ comes from ‘danmari,’ which means silence, and ‘deredere,’ which means lovey-dovey. Danmari, in turn, comes from the verb Damaru, which refers to staying quiet.
Dandere characters are the ones who have extreme difficulty in talking or interacting with others people. They tend to get very anxious and generally avoid talking at all due to their shyness. They are freer when surrounded by a large group of people they are already comfortable with. These characters are sensitive and think of themselves to be mediocre to the other characters.
Many fans confuse Dandere characters with Kuudere characters since they both tend to remain silent. Yes, that is a significant similarity. However, Dandere characters remain quiet even when they want to speak because they feel nervous, anxious, or shy. On the other hand, Kuudere characters prefer to be alone and quiet, which is their cold personality.
You Might Also Like: What Is The Kuudere Dere Type In Anime?
Another dere type that dandere characters are compared with is the Hajidere. While dandere characters are shy and quiet to everyone, Hajidere characters are shy only to their love interests.
Famous Dandere Characters
- Barakamon – Hina Kubota
- Beastars – Legoshi
- Ben-To – Sen Yarizui
- Beyblade Burst – Kensuke Midorikawa
- Black Cat – Eve
- Black Clover – Grey
- BlazBlue – Noel Vermillion
- Bokura wa Minna Kawai-sou – Ritsu Kawai
- Bungo Stray Dogs – Edgar Allan Poe
- Cat Planet Cuties – Aoi Futaba
- Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! – Rikka Takanashi
- Cupid’s Chocolates – Xia Zitong
- D4DJ – Rei Togetsu
- Dagashi Kashi – Saya Endō
- Darker than Black – Tanya Akulova
- Date A Live – Yoshino
- D.Gray-man – Miranda Lotto
- DokiDoki! Precure – Rikka Hishikawa
- Dragon Ball Super – Kale
- Durarara!! – Anri Sonohara
- Fullmetal Alchemist – Alphonse Elric
- Galaxy Angel – Vanilla H
- Gangsta – Delico
- Ghost Sweeper Mikami – Okino
- Given – Mafuyu Sato
- Go-Tōbun no Hanayome – Miku Nakano
- Haganai – Kobato HasegawaHaikyuu!! – Asahi Azumane
- Hamtaro – Penelope
- Happiness Charge Precure!
- Hime Shirayuki
- Heartcatch PreCure! – Tsubomi Hanasaki
- Heaven’s Lost Property – Hiyori Kanzane
- Hello World – Ruri Ichigyou
Yes, Dandere characters are shy. However, they are the most caring and kind characters ever. Honestly, it is joyful to see their character development and how they start overcoming their anxiety.
Leave a Reply